Skip to main content

Conference Musings

So last weekend we had the church's General Conference broadcast and rather than talk about specific things said, I'm going to go over some things I've been thinking over and changes I've seen in me. I felt like a lot of what was said at conference only reflected what I've been focusing on anyway, so in a way I felt spiritually uplifted to continue in the direction I'd been sent anyway. That was really cool. I haven't gone around telling people much but this year has been very difficult for me emotionally and it has led to a lot of spiritual growth.

It all started in April when I felt a very specific and very strong prompting about something I had been praying for, along with a confirmation of God's knowledge of me and his love for me. It was such a cool experience I cried a good part of that morning and wrote about it in my journal that night. I didn't realize that I'd receive specific instructions about what to do just three days later. And it was a direction I didn't want to go down. In fact I had been dead set against it for over a year. This lead to an emotional break down for about two weeks all in the middle of finals for spring semester. But even from the beginning of this break down I decided that if that's what God wanted me to do, I'd do it. The problem has been that following through with the intended actions has been difficult as other people's choices have prevented me from doing what I'd been prompted. It was so hard to just remain paitent waiting for things to change to allow me to move forward, but they didn't and they still haven't. In fact it lead to a complete heartbreak in July where I spent one night crying and just asking God, "Why?" I didn't have the heart to even say my prayers that night. I just cried myself to sleep.

Thankfully my plea to the heavens was answered within 24 hours. I felt prompted to find a talk given by Elder Uchtdorf a couple of years ago and when I read it every single question I had was answered! I've never known a conference talk to feel like it was written so specifically for me before. I downloaded the video, put it on my ipod and bookmarked the talk on my nook and made notes all over it about what pertained to me. God had planned for this to happen. My difficulties were meant to strengthen me, give me spiritual growth, and provide blessings if I bore my trials well. Meanwhile the constant reassurance to be patient and wait for his time was still there. It all boiled down to having complete faith in God. I now have a new love for Conference talks. :)

I'm not always a patient person, so this has been new for me. When I find myself doubting if I'm supposed to keep waiting, or when I find that new struggles are arising I've found a lot of comfort by going to the temple. In fact I've finally accepted the challange my old bishop gave us at the very beginning of this year to not be "weakly" attenders of the temple, but "weekly" attenders. This has made all the difference in my life! I'm not stressed about my school and work load like I have been in the past and I'm getting A's in my classes. On top of that it has become easier to be patient waiting for the obstacles to change. I don't stress about it like I did ALL summer. I've decided to trust that God will make his timing known and until then I'm going to make an effort to improve my life in different directions. Life has been so much happier this way. If you have a temple recommend, please use it often. If you don't have one, do everything you need to in order to obtain one. The blessings are definitely worth it!

As a side musing, Elder Scott talked about doing our family history to bring additional temple blessings. So on Sunday I got my mother, logged on our respective computers, and tried see what we could do using the church's site. We ended up getting frustrated and did indexing instead. We'll wait until we can go to the library to have someone help us. :)


Comments

  1. I like it! It's rare these days for people to recognize signs and actually follow them :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad things have been getting better. So grateful for Conference!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rushing!

Sorority Life . Not what I thought, at least for Lamba Delta Sigma . To begin with, I didn't know what a sorority was until the day I joined. I thought it was full of prissy girls who go shopping, gossip, and wear pink all the time (kind of a Legally Blonde persona, see picture). But my friend Nadia didn't want to join alone so she dragged me along and convinced me to do it too. By the time I left the first day, I could see my presumptions were wrong. It wasn't full of silly blondes in pink skirts and high heels at all, instead they were all young women like me. This was great news because now I can tell blonde jokes without having to explain them fifty times! Since I'm not taking classes this fall I decided I needed a change in things to make sure I keep active, especially after not doing too much this summer when it came to friends. Not that it was that bad being a homebody. Watching my sisters turn their pretty faces into gruesome troll expressions is quite ...

Believe that the Earth turns Slowly

[Photo taken by me at Aphosian Gardens 2008] Life is moving really fast for me now. I can't believe how many things will happen within the next two weeks, most of which I'm not entirely prepared for. First of all, my  birthday in a couple days. I'm young yet, early twenties but am I the only one who finds it weird when they become a year older? I don't feel much different than I did last year, and with everything going on it doesn't feel like my birthday. Normally I start counting down at the beginning of December because I just add 2 weeks onto the countdown to Christmas. This year, at the beginning of the week I had to count to make sure my birthday was actually this weekend. I'm just too preoccupied to think about it much. I also have school starting next Monday, and I'm going part time, but I'm working part time at crazy hours running back and forth from school and work, and my best friend gets married right after it starts. At least her wedding isn...

Bibliophile - Book Lover - That's me!

I absolutely love to read. My whole family is a bunch of readers and every one of us has our own collection of books. (Mine covers my ledge stretching along my 9 foot wall... and I ran out of room for them.) When I was younger (maybe 10) I found out my Grandma Walker kept track of every book she read in a journal and wrote it down, so I began my own book journal. So since 1997-ish I've written down each book's title, author, summary, date finished, how much I like it, and number of pages. I like to keep track of how many pages I've read in a year and the most I've ever gotten was just over 11,000 pages. This year I'm up to about 7,000 which is normal for me at this point. Seeing how I'm obsessed with books I thought I'd mention some of my favorites and favorite authors if you're ever looking for something to read since I have a few people who ask me for reading suggestions as it is. My new found favorite author is Brandon Sanderson. If you haven't he...