Skip to main content

Rushing!



Sorority Life. Not what I thought, at least for Lamba Delta Sigma. To begin with, I didn't know what a sorority was until the day I joined. I thought it was full of prissy girls who go shopping, gossip, and wear pink all the time (kind of a Legally Blonde persona, see picture). But my friend Nadia didn't want to join alone so she dragged me along and convinced me to do it too. By the time I left the first day, I could see my presumptions were wrong. It wasn't full of silly blondes in pink skirts and high heels at all, instead they were all young women like me. This was great news because now I can tell blonde jokes without having to explain them fifty times!

Since I'm not taking classes this fall I decided I needed a change in things to make sure I keep active, especially after not doing too much this summer when it came to friends. Not that it was that bad being a homebody. Watching my sisters turn their pretty faces into gruesome troll expressions is quite amusing. However, originally I was just going to go to the U's Institute, but on a whim I found myself picking a chapter in the sorority. And I have to admit when the Kappa girl told me they'd had Masquerades before I was pretty much sold. I've always wanted to go to a Masquerade; I even have a mask!


So far I feel kind of bad because I haven't been to any of my chapter's activities because of scheduling conflicts. But I've been to some larger sorority and fraternity events where all the girls and the guys come. Can I just say, I'm really excited?! First I went to a carnival and I had sooo many guys just come up and talk to me or say hi. I think I talked to more guys in one day than I had in a month! Plus Nadia and I about killed ourselves on a giant blow-up obstacle course. The girls I have met in my chapter seem really cool so far too. I can tell I'm going to get along with them off the bat. Everyone there feels like instant friends, so friendly it's almost weird.

Last Saturday we had my favorite activity of all so far with the Pledge Breakfast (pledges are new people). The guys made us breakfast, escorted us into the gym to our table, took our plates and got the food for us. Nadia and I were near the end of the line and they were running out of guys so they started taking 2 girls each. We were quite amazed when we got the actual president of the whole fraternity named Patrick. After he brought us our food he got caught up in directing stuff for a minute, and sent us another guy to entertain us until he got back. So even though we started out with one guy, we got two anyway. They were both really cool guys and we had a lot of fun talking to them. Nadia and I were both sad when everyone else started cleaning up indicating it was time to go.

I'm really excited for the rest of the year because I know this is going to be a blast! Especially since they're having a Winter Ball. What could be more fun than prom dresses and dancing?

Comments

  1. Hey you! As an old guy, I never did the sorority thing! But Laurel and I just went up to USU a couple of weeks ago to help a subchapter of our State chapter of a National Chapter get things off and running! They had a quad day with all sorts of joining, and it was fun to be around all that young energy! I helped the co-president set up a bank account yesterday as I am treasurer of our State chapter. So this was a fun read! You always have been a socialite! As to friends... you may not be just meeting! You may be meeting again... from a prior time! Look for that! The "pre-earth" spin to this! I'll bet some of them are deeper friends than you know! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about sacking and pillaging a coastal town, pirate style? That sounds more fun than getting i a dress to me. But I never tried on a dress. So I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU'RE MAKING FUN OF BLONDES! I'M TELLING MOMMY!!! MOOOOOOMMM!!! *starts sobbing* NANNY'S MAKING FUN OF GIRLS WITH BLONDE HAIIIRRR!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bibliophile - Book Lover - That's me!

I absolutely love to read. My whole family is a bunch of readers and every one of us has our own collection of books. (Mine covers my ledge stretching along my 9 foot wall... and I ran out of room for them.) When I was younger (maybe 10) I found out my Grandma Walker kept track of every book she read in a journal and wrote it down, so I began my own book journal. So since 1997-ish I've written down each book's title, author, summary, date finished, how much I like it, and number of pages. I like to keep track of how many pages I've read in a year and the most I've ever gotten was just over 11,000 pages. This year I'm up to about 7,000 which is normal for me at this point. Seeing how I'm obsessed with books I thought I'd mention some of my favorites and favorite authors if you're ever looking for something to read since I have a few people who ask me for reading suggestions as it is. My new found favorite author is Brandon Sanderson. If you haven't he...

Best View in Town

Hiking has really had its benefits this summer. I've really enjoyed taking along m y camera, as you can tell. Even if I just used my phone's camera. These pictures are from two separate hikes, Ensign Peak and Grandeur Peak. What's great about both of these hikes is that once you've climbed the top they offer an amazing view of the valley. Many people know about Ensign Peak, but what I love about Grandeur Peak is the absolute brilliance of the view. It's from a much higher vantage point and offers a broader view of the Salt Lake Valley. Pictures can't do it justice. I've hiked it before and stayed up there while it got dark and watched fireworks for the fourth of July and I've never seen anything so beautiful to compare to it. Ensign Peak had an amazing view the night we hiked it. It was growing dark as we sat at the top and the thunder clouds rolling in added a great element to the pictures we took and made the night seem darker than it normally would h...

Fall is in the Air

Our first year of adventures in the married life has been pretty great. COVID actually opened up a lot of travel opportunities we couldn't have afforded otherwise. After going to Disney World earlier in the year, I never imagined that I would also be able to visit Disneyland in the fall, let alone twice! Disneyland To start, Disneyland with my mom, Lizzie and my niece and nephew in September. This was their first time (technically my niece's second but she was an infant the first time.) And doing Disneyland with kids is just magical. Yes, they get tired and grumpy and have no patience when they're hungry but they also believe everything they see. That kind of magic is just great to witness. We walked into the park and Micky and Minnie were at the train station to greet everyone coming in. My nephew was just in awe as my niece was so excited to see Minnie and Mickey in real life. They also quickly figured out that after waiting in a line, a really cool ride was at the end of...