Thar were a storm brewin in Portland under St. John's bridge. Twas about a fortnight or so ago now. I put in t' port vistin' me cousin Hykel and cap'n Aaron. They had many plans to tickle our fancy and me shipmates Alisa, Lizzie and me, found them quite to our liking. However, none of us were quite prepared for the sight of the debauchery under St. John's bridge. The bridge were the colour of sea weed and so tall that a mighty ship could easily pass underneath without breakin' the mast. The bridge itself were a marv'lous sight ter see. Underneath, pirates and wenches alike walked around fightin' and plunderin' and gluttin' themselves with food and drink. But everywhere, there were pirates.
At first we walked around getting our bearings while observing the fencing and food goin' round. But when we caught sight of the lil' beastie our eager hands were caught climbin' a 30 foot ship to ride down t' kraken. It twere soakin wet from the misty rain and all of arr rear ends were soaked. I though' we shoulda been the Soggy Bottom Girls. We also were pulled towards the direction of the booth sellin' swords an' daggers. Quite a few caught me eye, and my they were fine. If I'd had a use fer one I woulda bought one. But my shillings went towards a fine blue coat fit fer a captain wit' buttons down the front an' all. Although, I thought it were odd when a man two stalls down shouted towards me that it matched me eyes and that I should get it. I think I nodded a thanks, but t' be honest I was a little disturbed. I still bought me the coat though. The beauty had quite captured me fancy.
One o' the blessings of being a pirate is traveling to new places and trying foods that you pillage from their homes and ale houses. And at th' festival I tried an elephant ear. How more exotic can you get than that, eh? O' course it were a giant scone covered in sugar n' cinnamon. But the best part o' the fracas was the battle between the redcoats and the bretheren at the shore. I don't think I've ever jumped as badly as I did in those wee minutes. The cannon blasts were so loud and the smoke so blasted thick that at times t'were hard to see who was winnin' until the hand ter hand combat began. An' I just knew the blasted devils would outmatch the British dogs! O' course there were only four men alive by the end of it. Bless their souls.
The next day we decided to head to port to Cannon Beach and there I saw the ol' famous Haystack Rock made known by the movie The Goonies. I felt mighty special to see such a sight. If I'd had a cap on I woulda put it over me heart. The sea was also a mighty great sight for sore eyes, but the wind was cold and whipped about much so that our clothes felt wet and sticky. Me mates Alisa, and Lizzie and I walked down the beach for a good couple o' hours trying to get close to Haystack Rock. We didn't realize how far we'd pillaged until tryin' to get back, our lunch was delayed by a good three hours but I believe it were worth it for the pictures I got.
It felt good to be by the sea again, even if it were too cold ter swim in. It was enought to smell the salt and see the miles of water before me. Now I am jus' going ter have t' start making plans until I can go back next year. Not even the sea witches could keep me from going, by thunder!
Comments
Post a Comment