I love thinking about how much fun summers were when I was a kid. I hardly ever got bored, there was always something to do or play. I remember cooking up Acorn Soup with my sisters in the yard. The ingredients were easy including a bucket, water from the hose, grass, mud, and plenty of acorns from our oak brush. We also used to play store using the gate that fenced off our yard using the small entry part for people to walk through that swung open like a door. One of us would sit behind it like it was a take-out window and another one of us would ride our bike up the sidewalk until we came to the window and ordered groceries that we made out of leaves, grass, and twigs. My sisters and I used to draw all over the sidewalks too. I liked making different hop scotch squares because my friend Holly was really good since she was in gymnastics so it made me want to practice for when we played at school. (Now my friends and I use sidewalk chalk to mark out crime scene investigations around our other friends' cars.)
All of these things get me thinking, when I played games all summer as a kid I got a lot of exercise and I liked it. And every spring I get this urge to do fun things I've loved doing since I was little. Right now I want to buy me a bicycle. I hated bikes when I was younger, I was deathly afraid of being killed by a car or falling down and hurting myself (which seemed to happen a lot). As I got older, I wasn't as afraid of the cars, but I became more lazy and didn't like riding bikes because of going up the hills surrounding my house (and the prevailing fear of going too fast down hill and crashing remained). But now, I see it as a fun way to get a good work out. The funny part of me is, whatever bike I get has to be cute... I have this thing for things looking pretty. My dream bike is one by Paul Frank (at least the designs on it).
So not only is it an awesome cotton candy pink, it has crossbones on the seat and frame. I also want this specific style of bike, a beach cruiser. I don't really like the look of Mountain Bikes... I think they're boring. I want a girly bike. I'll probably end up buying me a cheaper bike than this specific one though. I have my eyes on a white one for sale with 3 gears, hand breaks, and a basket all in the style I want. Then I might cover it in pirate decals.
My new summer obsessions doesn't end there though. I also want to buy me a hula hoop and an adult sized jump rope. (At least those are cheap.) I figure the hula hoop would be a great way to exercise my abdominal muscles and if I get one for my sister I'll make us have competitions. And I think I need to come up with my own skipping songs or rock it out with some music for an adult-ish way to enjoy my jump roping. I can see me using my jump rope down the sidewalk while singing some diddy about princesses getting captures by the pirate king.... that would be awesome.
All of these things get me thinking, when I played games all summer as a kid I got a lot of exercise and I liked it. And every spring I get this urge to do fun things I've loved doing since I was little. Right now I want to buy me a bicycle. I hated bikes when I was younger, I was deathly afraid of being killed by a car or falling down and hurting myself (which seemed to happen a lot). As I got older, I wasn't as afraid of the cars, but I became more lazy and didn't like riding bikes because of going up the hills surrounding my house (and the prevailing fear of going too fast down hill and crashing remained). But now, I see it as a fun way to get a good work out. The funny part of me is, whatever bike I get has to be cute... I have this thing for things looking pretty. My dream bike is one by Paul Frank (at least the designs on it).
This screams Pirate Princess doesn't it!
(this picture is from Dick's Sporting Goods)
My new summer obsessions doesn't end there though. I also want to buy me a hula hoop and an adult sized jump rope. (At least those are cheap.) I figure the hula hoop would be a great way to exercise my abdominal muscles and if I get one for my sister I'll make us have competitions. And I think I need to come up with my own skipping songs or rock it out with some music for an adult-ish way to enjoy my jump roping. I can see me using my jump rope down the sidewalk while singing some diddy about princesses getting captures by the pirate king.... that would be awesome.


As guys, we played war. I think one of my funnest times was over at my cousins house one day. We loved apple fights, and this day it was apricots! Thing was, I was wearing white pants, and my cousin Aaron got a good hit right in the... well, never mind. But white pants and apricots are a horrible mess any time, but it was especially painful that day!
ReplyDelete