Skip to main content

All Dogs go to Heaven. Especially my Mel.


This past weekend has been a very difficult one for my family, and especially emotionally trying for me. My dog Mel had surgery Thursday to help him breathe better by removing tissues in his nostrils and taking out the flap of skin in his soft palete that partially blocked his airways. I was hoping this would give him a healthier and longer life span. He was 10 years old and I wanted him to stick around for at least another 8 years until I was 30. But God decided he needed his puppy back. I have never had a more traumatizing experience than holding my dog in my arms while he died. And while it is something I do not wish to ever repeat, I am so grateful that I got to hold him to the end. For two days since his surgery I cuddled and babied that dog while trying to help him recover. But the day after the surgery he passed from a pulmonary cardiac arrest where his heart stopped beating properly which caused fluid to fill his lungs causing both the heart and lungs to fail.

I never thought that I would be so attached to a dog that I would be emotionally taxed for days afterwards. And for other pets that we've had to put to sleep I would feel sad for a couple days but I quickly got over it. But this dog was my baby, and I certainly spoiled him rotten I loved him so much. I only had him for just under two years, but he was a perfect fit for my family. We have never been so attached to a dog like we were to Mel. But Mel knew he was my dog, as much as he loved my dad (dad and I were his obvious favorites in the family) Mom often commented that she could tell Mel loved me and knew he was my dog which always made me feel more important being his dog owner.

Now I miss him the most when I come home from work and he's not there to jump up and run to the door to greet me and beg for his toy with that ridiculously adorable face of his. He just looked so dang happy whenever dad and I came home because he knew we would play with him. And I miss him when it's time for me to go to bed, because he knew he was supposed to go to bed with me. Sometimes he would sit in front of the bathroom door waiting for me to get ready for bed. He didn't like waiting much so when he did I hurried so he wouldn't leave me to go find him and call him, but he came running straight away when I called. He loved to crawl under my blankets and snuggle up to my feet, and would frequently lick his paws and inadvertently lick my feet at the same time. It's hard to sleep when he'd tickle my feet like that.

But the love of his life was his toy which looked like a small rubber barbell. He would play fetch with that thing for hours if you let him. If he ever got tired he'd just set the toy on the floor and lay right next to it until he caught his breath. Whenever we didn't take it away from him he took it everywhere he went, outside through the doggie door to lay on the porch with it, or to lay next to the water bowl as he got a drink. The only part I didn't like about throwing the toy was how slobbery he made that thing! We loved watching him beg for the toy too. He'd jump in circles and jump up against your knee and bark at you. I frequently barked back and we'd egg each other on like that barking back and forth, he knew it was a game that would end up with me giving him his toy. He was just so adorable, and the thing was you knew he wasn't trying to be adorable which made it that much cuter since it was innocent. I thought I'd eventually get over how adorable he'd look, but 2 years later I still cooed over how adorable he was.

Dad says that by following a natural course of events he wants to die before me so he can get to heaven and train Mel to be his dog! Of course my dad's teasing, but he also says that after my long life of good deeds and service when I die he and Mel will be at the gates seeing who can wag their tails the hardest. (Neither of them even have tails!) Mom of course will be looking on disapprovingly and telling dad to stop acting like a kid. Although I told dad that he can't train Mel to be his dog because the night he died in my prayers I asked the Lord for dibs on Mel (I really did). Even though we had him for 2 years, whoever had him before had given him up for a new baby (so the paperwork says) and so I think we have rights to him. Mom says the bonds of love should count for something and that it will still mean something in the eternities. My uncle even says if there is any justice in the Universe he expects to see his own dogs that have gone on before him. I am inclined to agree on both these accounts. There is nothing better that can comfort me about losing my dog than thinking that I can see him again and have him curl up beside my lap just to snuggle or ask me to throw his toy.



Mel was born August 14, 2000 and died May 21, 2010 at 9 years old (or 63 in dog years).

Comments

  1. I pray this is the greatest loss you ever experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry Nat. I feel for you. Trace died 2 days before graduation. He was 14 years old, (or 98). Hopefully they will have fun waiting for us to come be with them, eh? Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bibliophile - Book Lover - That's me!

I absolutely love to read. My whole family is a bunch of readers and every one of us has our own collection of books. (Mine covers my ledge stretching along my 9 foot wall... and I ran out of room for them.) When I was younger (maybe 10) I found out my Grandma Walker kept track of every book she read in a journal and wrote it down, so I began my own book journal. So since 1997-ish I've written down each book's title, author, summary, date finished, how much I like it, and number of pages. I like to keep track of how many pages I've read in a year and the most I've ever gotten was just over 11,000 pages. This year I'm up to about 7,000 which is normal for me at this point. Seeing how I'm obsessed with books I thought I'd mention some of my favorites and favorite authors if you're ever looking for something to read since I have a few people who ask me for reading suggestions as it is. My new found favorite author is Brandon Sanderson. If you haven't he...

Best View in Town

Hiking has really had its benefits this summer. I've really enjoyed taking along m y camera, as you can tell. Even if I just used my phone's camera. These pictures are from two separate hikes, Ensign Peak and Grandeur Peak. What's great about both of these hikes is that once you've climbed the top they offer an amazing view of the valley. Many people know about Ensign Peak, but what I love about Grandeur Peak is the absolute brilliance of the view. It's from a much higher vantage point and offers a broader view of the Salt Lake Valley. Pictures can't do it justice. I've hiked it before and stayed up there while it got dark and watched fireworks for the fourth of July and I've never seen anything so beautiful to compare to it. Ensign Peak had an amazing view the night we hiked it. It was growing dark as we sat at the top and the thunder clouds rolling in added a great element to the pictures we took and made the night seem darker than it normally would h...

Fall is in the Air

Our first year of adventures in the married life has been pretty great. COVID actually opened up a lot of travel opportunities we couldn't have afforded otherwise. After going to Disney World earlier in the year, I never imagined that I would also be able to visit Disneyland in the fall, let alone twice! Disneyland To start, Disneyland with my mom, Lizzie and my niece and nephew in September. This was their first time (technically my niece's second but she was an infant the first time.) And doing Disneyland with kids is just magical. Yes, they get tired and grumpy and have no patience when they're hungry but they also believe everything they see. That kind of magic is just great to witness. We walked into the park and Micky and Minnie were at the train station to greet everyone coming in. My nephew was just in awe as my niece was so excited to see Minnie and Mickey in real life. They also quickly figured out that after waiting in a line, a really cool ride was at the end of...