Skip to main content

Fun in Sunny St George

 Nathan planned a trip and he was so excited for it! He asked if I would go with him to Cedar City to the Shakespearean festival and then on to St. George to see a play at the Tuacahn Amphitheater. He had me book the hotel nights with separate rooms and he planned the rest. We planned this even before we got engaged so we had something to look forward to while the virus raged around us. As time wore on and more and more things closed or got cancelled, eventually both our shows cancelled or postponed to next year. (We are going to have SO MANY free dates next year from events being rescheduled!!) This was Nathan's trip and I didn't want to deny him any fun, so I didn't ask him to cancel the trip and decided to wait for him to decide if he wanted to go still or not. He did the same thing, so we both ended up agreeing to keep our weekend trip away! He thought it would be good to get me away from the things that stress me out. Which kind of works, it was definitely an escape for a couple days. 

So off to sunny St. George we left during a month of record heat temperatures! On the way down we stopped in Cedar City for lunch to eat at Cafe Rio and drove over to see the new Cedar City temple. Luckily, even with the grounds closed off, you can still walk around it in the parking lot. It looks so pretty from outside.

After arriving a little over an hour later at our destination in St. George we checked into our hotel rooms at the Red Lion. Nathan and I had rooms next door to each other and we decided a nap was well deserved! Driving wipes you out, even when it's an easy drive. After our nap we hung out in my room while we decided what to do that night and Nathan suggested the botanical garden. 

The botanical garden was beautiful and had something like 3,000 desert plants, all of them with name plates! I'm a big supporter of xeriscape landscapes and reducing water usage in your garden, so it was cool to see how they designed the use of desert plants. They also had these awesome swings that we had to sit in and just relax. It was also crazy hot, like 102 so by the end of our time at the garden not even an hour later, we were parched and melting into the sidewalk. We subsequently made our way to the nearest grocery store and bought a whole basket of water bottles. hahahaha. 


The following day was our one full day in St George. We decided to go visit the local art museum which also was in this cute square with old Pioneer buildings including an original cabin that was moved to this location, the original opera house built in 1875, and a little garden area and statues. I really enjoyed this place because it was charming and had historical architecture. The art museum had original etchings and copies from Rembrandt and I bought a Jane Austen pencil bag in the gift shop as my donation. The opera house was closed, as well as the ice cream parlor, but we did get to see inside the cabin. 

 

 

 Our favorite part of the trip though was the St George Dinosaur Discovery Site museum! It had a display of the single largest expanse of solid rock containing dinosaur footprints. I felt like the place was good for adults and for children. It had information to interest everyone. They shared information about how the prints were discovered, the process for excavation, and how the prints were made. The land used to be marshy so not only were footprints saved, but water ripples in the sand from the giant lake that used to cover much of the area around St. George.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rushing!

Sorority Life . Not what I thought, at least for Lamba Delta Sigma . To begin with, I didn't know what a sorority was until the day I joined. I thought it was full of prissy girls who go shopping, gossip, and wear pink all the time (kind of a Legally Blonde persona, see picture). But my friend Nadia didn't want to join alone so she dragged me along and convinced me to do it too. By the time I left the first day, I could see my presumptions were wrong. It wasn't full of silly blondes in pink skirts and high heels at all, instead they were all young women like me. This was great news because now I can tell blonde jokes without having to explain them fifty times! Since I'm not taking classes this fall I decided I needed a change in things to make sure I keep active, especially after not doing too much this summer when it came to friends. Not that it was that bad being a homebody. Watching my sisters turn their pretty faces into gruesome troll expressions is quite ...

Believe that the Earth turns Slowly

[Photo taken by me at Aphosian Gardens 2008] Life is moving really fast for me now. I can't believe how many things will happen within the next two weeks, most of which I'm not entirely prepared for. First of all, my  birthday in a couple days. I'm young yet, early twenties but am I the only one who finds it weird when they become a year older? I don't feel much different than I did last year, and with everything going on it doesn't feel like my birthday. Normally I start counting down at the beginning of December because I just add 2 weeks onto the countdown to Christmas. This year, at the beginning of the week I had to count to make sure my birthday was actually this weekend. I'm just too preoccupied to think about it much. I also have school starting next Monday, and I'm going part time, but I'm working part time at crazy hours running back and forth from school and work, and my best friend gets married right after it starts. At least her wedding isn...

Bibliophile - Book Lover - That's me!

I absolutely love to read. My whole family is a bunch of readers and every one of us has our own collection of books. (Mine covers my ledge stretching along my 9 foot wall... and I ran out of room for them.) When I was younger (maybe 10) I found out my Grandma Walker kept track of every book she read in a journal and wrote it down, so I began my own book journal. So since 1997-ish I've written down each book's title, author, summary, date finished, how much I like it, and number of pages. I like to keep track of how many pages I've read in a year and the most I've ever gotten was just over 11,000 pages. This year I'm up to about 7,000 which is normal for me at this point. Seeing how I'm obsessed with books I thought I'd mention some of my favorites and favorite authors if you're ever looking for something to read since I have a few people who ask me for reading suggestions as it is. My new found favorite author is Brandon Sanderson. If you haven't he...