I bought a viola!!! I went to Charles Liu Fine Violins to get my bow rehaired for my violin and walked out with a new instrument. I have toyed with this idea for over a year. I consider this partly a birthday present for myself. I already know how to play the actual instrument, it's just like playing a violin but stretched out a bit for finger spacing and a lower string than the violin. I only need to learn the new clef and where the notes go on the viola. So while I was there I asked if I could check out a viola or two. I found a great intermediate instrument for about $1500 and the bow I got 50% off, and it's a pretty good bow. It was originally $900 but it was just so good I knew I needed that one. It felt natural in my hand and gave the instrument a good sound. Mom enjoyed checking it out too and she even played with the one bass they have set up she could play. She would love to get one, but knows it probably won't happen. Partly because of their size and price.
I feel like I should name the viola, but I'm not the kind of person who names things. My violin doesn't have a name either. But you can see how big the viola is next to my violin! It's about a year old - so a newly carved instrument by Charles Liu. I went home and tried to play a scale and my head already hurts, so wish me luck learning a new music clef!!
Comments
Post a Comment