Skip to main content

Whimsical Thoughts

School is starting today. Rather than actually delve in I am almost sadly reflecting on how much I wish I had my time to my self still. I really took advantage of the holiday break and tried to do everything I wanted. From the beginning of the year January 1st to today January 22 I have read 9 books. That's about two books a day and I even took off a few! I was so sad by the number of books I read last year that I thought I should get a head start for this year by cramming in anything I could before school started. So that's roughly 2,800 pages I've already got covered this year!!

I also took advantage of my student pass and went to the Opera on Monday night. It was the Pearl Fishers by Bizet. There were only four main characters and then the chorus and I was entranced by the one woman in the show and how piercingly clear her voice was. It was breathtakingly beautiful to hear her sing. This wasn't my first opera, and this was by far my favorite female performance. I really wish I had time to go again!

I also took some time to visit Desert Star theaters and laughed heartily at their current Pirate show. Considering we went shortly after my birthday I thought it was extremely appropriate even. I was completely dismayed when we were leaving and I noticed a patron who wore a pirate shirt to the show. I turned to Lizzie and asked her, "Why didn't we dress up or at least wear a pirate shirt to the show?! That would have been awesome!" Heaven knows I have enough to have outfitted myself, my sister, and my mother in pirate gear for the play! And they used my favorite joke again.

Jack Sprat speaking to Will Dolittle, "I knew your father Will, he was a good man. We called him One-Eyed Bill."
Will asked, "Did he wear an eye-patch?"
Jack replied, "No, he spelled Bill with one I."

So here's to pirates, good opera singers, books, and even the occasional date I've managed to go on. Hopefully the fun will last as I go through another semester!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rushing!

Sorority Life . Not what I thought, at least for Lamba Delta Sigma . To begin with, I didn't know what a sorority was until the day I joined. I thought it was full of prissy girls who go shopping, gossip, and wear pink all the time (kind of a Legally Blonde persona, see picture). But my friend Nadia didn't want to join alone so she dragged me along and convinced me to do it too. By the time I left the first day, I could see my presumptions were wrong. It wasn't full of silly blondes in pink skirts and high heels at all, instead they were all young women like me. This was great news because now I can tell blonde jokes without having to explain them fifty times! Since I'm not taking classes this fall I decided I needed a change in things to make sure I keep active, especially after not doing too much this summer when it came to friends. Not that it was that bad being a homebody. Watching my sisters turn their pretty faces into gruesome troll expressions is quite ...

Believe that the Earth turns Slowly

[Photo taken by me at Aphosian Gardens 2008] Life is moving really fast for me now. I can't believe how many things will happen within the next two weeks, most of which I'm not entirely prepared for. First of all, my  birthday in a couple days. I'm young yet, early twenties but am I the only one who finds it weird when they become a year older? I don't feel much different than I did last year, and with everything going on it doesn't feel like my birthday. Normally I start counting down at the beginning of December because I just add 2 weeks onto the countdown to Christmas. This year, at the beginning of the week I had to count to make sure my birthday was actually this weekend. I'm just too preoccupied to think about it much. I also have school starting next Monday, and I'm going part time, but I'm working part time at crazy hours running back and forth from school and work, and my best friend gets married right after it starts. At least her wedding isn...

Bibliophile - Book Lover - That's me!

I absolutely love to read. My whole family is a bunch of readers and every one of us has our own collection of books. (Mine covers my ledge stretching along my 9 foot wall... and I ran out of room for them.) When I was younger (maybe 10) I found out my Grandma Walker kept track of every book she read in a journal and wrote it down, so I began my own book journal. So since 1997-ish I've written down each book's title, author, summary, date finished, how much I like it, and number of pages. I like to keep track of how many pages I've read in a year and the most I've ever gotten was just over 11,000 pages. This year I'm up to about 7,000 which is normal for me at this point. Seeing how I'm obsessed with books I thought I'd mention some of my favorites and favorite authors if you're ever looking for something to read since I have a few people who ask me for reading suggestions as it is. My new found favorite author is Brandon Sanderson. If you haven't he...