Recently a woman I'm friends with on Facebook made a series of posts about things that we probably didn't know about her. Sometimes this included a short story explaining an incident or quirky thing about her. It was very interesting to go through her list of 20 items over the weeks that she posted. Then I wondered if I could even come up with a list of 20 things that most people don't know about me. Since I'm still in my twenties, I feel like a lot of these will come out of my childhood. At least I got up to 15.
1. I'm not a picky eater but I hate tomato soup. I keep trying it hoping I'll like it and every time I have to give up. My last attempt was 2 years ago. I figured that maybe the problem was trying canned soup because homemade is always better. I found a great recipe and used home-grown tomatoes (always better than store bought!) with real half and half and made the prettiest pot of tomato soup I've ever seen. I even got garlic bread and toasted it in the oven to top it off. Dinner looked amazing! ... And the bread was the only part I liked. At least my family was quite happy with dinner.
2. I would organize the books on my shelves as a kid at 7 years old, alphabetical (title or author), genre, and age all had a roll to play on where they went. And I did this for fun! So my shelves were all sorted with my really old books like Raggedy Anne, Treasure Island, and Little House in one section, my newer Roald Dahl and Mrs. Piggle Wiggle in another, and the books to hard for me in the back, with all the picture books piled at the ends.
3. I have played on two Stradivarious violins which were made in the late 17th and early 18th centuries. These are the considered the finest violins to have ever been made. And I played TWO of them on the same day! Combined these instruments are worth at least 5 million dollars. I was in high school buying a new bow for my violin at Peter Prier and Sons Violins when the sales girl asked if I wanted to check out a violin for fun. That's when she pulled out the Strads from their safe. I was so nervous and excited when I played them that I stumbled more than ususal. Their sound was so beautiful and they were so delicate compared to my student violin. I decided if I ever gave up playing after that, it would be a shame after having been given such a great opportunity to play (even for a day) on a real Stradivarious.
4. I can't play video games. Normally when people say they can't, they're just trying to be modest. I honestly can't. I've never had an interest in it, and the only game I ever learned how to play was the old Mario Cart which is mostly steering (I don't even know how to drop bananas when playing.) Two years ago I visited my cousin in Oregon and they didn't believe me when I said I didn't know how to play until they handed me a console and I asked how to make them jump. I'm that bad!
5. I was pretty much tone deaf as a child. My mom didn't like the idea of having a daughter who couldn't sing on key and made it a game to teach me to sing back notes as she played them on the piano. You'd never know now that I had that problem!
6. I liked to watch operas and ballet on public television even as young as 6 years old. I think a lot of it had to do with the music and the fact that I could read the subtitles for operas and my siblings couldn't. When my Grandma would take my mother and I to see the Nutcraker downtown I felt so grown-up! I absolutely loved it and was probably the best behaved 6 year-old child there. Now I'm amazed that I liked opera and ballet when I was so young. I haven't even another kid who is as willing to watch operas or ballet!
7. I can be a very shy person at school and will not talk to the professors or other students unless I have to. I go into a mentality state that I'm at school to learn and take notes; not fraternize with the students. Outside of the classroom I'm willing to chat, but not much. Heck, I won't even go talk to a professor unless I absolutely have to and think it will make more sense than sending them an email. I did have to start forcing myself to answer questions in class because I figured one day I'd have to ask a professor for a letter of recommendation and maybe then they'd remember me better. But so far I haven't needed one.
8. I was a normal crappy artist and crayon color-er as a child. I don't know where my drawing talents developed from other than ground zero. Many of my relatives could draw, so I wanted to too. I took their help willingly, especially from my artistic Grandmother and grew from there. Art classes in school helped a lot too. Amazingly my geometry class helped the most to recognize shapes and lines and translate that into a drawing and after taking that class I was suddenly a lot better!
9. This you probably know, but I definitely love traveling. I have been to much of the West of the US (UT, WY, ID, MT, AZ, NV, CA, OR, and some East Coast: NJ, NY, MA, [drove through CT, RI], and FL). I also have now visited 3 European countries, the United Kingdom, France, and Spain. If I could I would totally go to Rome and see the ancient sites there. I would also go to Egypt, probably just for the Cairo Museum and the Pyramids. Lastly I would spend a LOT more time in England! Being an English history nut would practically make me my own tour guide.
10. I've been sneezed on by a sheep. It was pretty nasty. I had snot and spit all over my face and hair. I was pretty little and started to cry and the only one who didn't laugh was my Grandma who knew I was traumatized and pulled out some tissues to clean me off. Grandmas are awesome.
11. I can claim to be ahead of the times since I was 5. Not only did I like pirates, but I was also a hipster. I tried reading Treasure Island which was too hard for me, but my copy was printed in the 1950's. Talk about vintage. Don't get me started on my set of old Raggedy Anne books. I don't think they're even in print anymore. Hipsters have just finally made my love for old stuff cool. lol
12 I'm a pretty good boondoggle person. I've done braids with up to 6 strands at once with a very tight and even stitch. I got so into it as a teenager that I now own over a dozen 100 yard rolls in different colors. I ran out of hooks and key chains to attach them to, so now many just sit in a basket waiting to be useful. I once fixed a purse I had just bought when the zipper pull broke off the zipper. I just got out some matching black boondoggle and made a new short zipper pull with a block square 2x2 braid. I felt quite crafty and I used that purse for a long time after that.
13. I have inadvertently started a collection of Mr. Potato Heads. It started when I bought Darth Tater for my brother for his birthday. I liked it more than he did. That soon lead to my buying Indiana Jones Taters of the Lost Ark. When you pressed the hat it plays the theme song. I couldn't resist. I now have 4 generic potato heads for holidays, Spider Spud, and Spud Lightyear.
14 I've had the most complicated love life I think I've ever heard of. I hated being asked if I was single or if I wanted to be set up on dates. Even though I was technically single, I already had a boy. They were just being difficult and decided to move to Arizona for a while and leave me here twiddling my thumbs. SO if you don't know the whole story I'm sure I'll make some fabulously long post explaining it later. Anyway, now I'm very single and having a lot of fun trying to meet all the good looking single guys in my ward! lol.
15. I am afraid of needles and get really bad anxiety if I visit someone in the hospital that has an IV or looks like they're in bad shape. That might not be unusual, but discovering this fear in high school at a family Vampire Blood party is. Apparently there were some geneticists from the U interested in my family after they found out that there is a history of seziures as toddlers that runs in our very large family and they wanted to research it. So they came to our Halloween party and took blood samples from everyone. I got real close to passing out when they took my blood and it was just a little vial too. I can't even watch blood being drawn on TV or I start to get dizzy. So ever since then, I've sworn to never have an IV or needles poked in me. My mom tells me that I'd better not plan on having children.
Now you know more about me than most people. Don't you feel special?
![]() |
| Me and Charlie |
2. I would organize the books on my shelves as a kid at 7 years old, alphabetical (title or author), genre, and age all had a roll to play on where they went. And I did this for fun! So my shelves were all sorted with my really old books like Raggedy Anne, Treasure Island, and Little House in one section, my newer Roald Dahl and Mrs. Piggle Wiggle in another, and the books to hard for me in the back, with all the picture books piled at the ends.
3. I have played on two Stradivarious violins which were made in the late 17th and early 18th centuries. These are the considered the finest violins to have ever been made. And I played TWO of them on the same day! Combined these instruments are worth at least 5 million dollars. I was in high school buying a new bow for my violin at Peter Prier and Sons Violins when the sales girl asked if I wanted to check out a violin for fun. That's when she pulled out the Strads from their safe. I was so nervous and excited when I played them that I stumbled more than ususal. Their sound was so beautiful and they were so delicate compared to my student violin. I decided if I ever gave up playing after that, it would be a shame after having been given such a great opportunity to play (even for a day) on a real Stradivarious.
4. I can't play video games. Normally when people say they can't, they're just trying to be modest. I honestly can't. I've never had an interest in it, and the only game I ever learned how to play was the old Mario Cart which is mostly steering (I don't even know how to drop bananas when playing.) Two years ago I visited my cousin in Oregon and they didn't believe me when I said I didn't know how to play until they handed me a console and I asked how to make them jump. I'm that bad!
5. I was pretty much tone deaf as a child. My mom didn't like the idea of having a daughter who couldn't sing on key and made it a game to teach me to sing back notes as she played them on the piano. You'd never know now that I had that problem!
6. I liked to watch operas and ballet on public television even as young as 6 years old. I think a lot of it had to do with the music and the fact that I could read the subtitles for operas and my siblings couldn't. When my Grandma would take my mother and I to see the Nutcraker downtown I felt so grown-up! I absolutely loved it and was probably the best behaved 6 year-old child there. Now I'm amazed that I liked opera and ballet when I was so young. I haven't even another kid who is as willing to watch operas or ballet!
7. I can be a very shy person at school and will not talk to the professors or other students unless I have to. I go into a mentality state that I'm at school to learn and take notes; not fraternize with the students. Outside of the classroom I'm willing to chat, but not much. Heck, I won't even go talk to a professor unless I absolutely have to and think it will make more sense than sending them an email. I did have to start forcing myself to answer questions in class because I figured one day I'd have to ask a professor for a letter of recommendation and maybe then they'd remember me better. But so far I haven't needed one.
8. I was a normal crappy artist and crayon color-er as a child. I don't know where my drawing talents developed from other than ground zero. Many of my relatives could draw, so I wanted to too. I took their help willingly, especially from my artistic Grandmother and grew from there. Art classes in school helped a lot too. Amazingly my geometry class helped the most to recognize shapes and lines and translate that into a drawing and after taking that class I was suddenly a lot better!
9. This you probably know, but I definitely love traveling. I have been to much of the West of the US (UT, WY, ID, MT, AZ, NV, CA, OR, and some East Coast: NJ, NY, MA, [drove through CT, RI], and FL). I also have now visited 3 European countries, the United Kingdom, France, and Spain. If I could I would totally go to Rome and see the ancient sites there. I would also go to Egypt, probably just for the Cairo Museum and the Pyramids. Lastly I would spend a LOT more time in England! Being an English history nut would practically make me my own tour guide.
10. I've been sneezed on by a sheep. It was pretty nasty. I had snot and spit all over my face and hair. I was pretty little and started to cry and the only one who didn't laugh was my Grandma who knew I was traumatized and pulled out some tissues to clean me off. Grandmas are awesome.
![]() |
| My grandma and I are at the right. I'm probably just a little bit older than the sheep incident story. |
11. I can claim to be ahead of the times since I was 5. Not only did I like pirates, but I was also a hipster. I tried reading Treasure Island which was too hard for me, but my copy was printed in the 1950's. Talk about vintage. Don't get me started on my set of old Raggedy Anne books. I don't think they're even in print anymore. Hipsters have just finally made my love for old stuff cool. lol
12 I'm a pretty good boondoggle person. I've done braids with up to 6 strands at once with a very tight and even stitch. I got so into it as a teenager that I now own over a dozen 100 yard rolls in different colors. I ran out of hooks and key chains to attach them to, so now many just sit in a basket waiting to be useful. I once fixed a purse I had just bought when the zipper pull broke off the zipper. I just got out some matching black boondoggle and made a new short zipper pull with a block square 2x2 braid. I felt quite crafty and I used that purse for a long time after that.
13. I have inadvertently started a collection of Mr. Potato Heads. It started when I bought Darth Tater for my brother for his birthday. I liked it more than he did. That soon lead to my buying Indiana Jones Taters of the Lost Ark. When you pressed the hat it plays the theme song. I couldn't resist. I now have 4 generic potato heads for holidays, Spider Spud, and Spud Lightyear.
14 I've had the most complicated love life I think I've ever heard of. I hated being asked if I was single or if I wanted to be set up on dates. Even though I was technically single, I already had a boy. They were just being difficult and decided to move to Arizona for a while and leave me here twiddling my thumbs. SO if you don't know the whole story I'm sure I'll make some fabulously long post explaining it later. Anyway, now I'm very single and having a lot of fun trying to meet all the good looking single guys in my ward! lol.
15. I am afraid of needles and get really bad anxiety if I visit someone in the hospital that has an IV or looks like they're in bad shape. That might not be unusual, but discovering this fear in high school at a family Vampire Blood party is. Apparently there were some geneticists from the U interested in my family after they found out that there is a history of seziures as toddlers that runs in our very large family and they wanted to research it. So they came to our Halloween party and took blood samples from everyone. I got real close to passing out when they took my blood and it was just a little vial too. I can't even watch blood being drawn on TV or I start to get dizzy. So ever since then, I've sworn to never have an IV or needles poked in me. My mom tells me that I'd better not plan on having children.
Now you know more about me than most people. Don't you feel special?
![]() | |
| My sister and I 2010 |



Comments
Post a Comment