I may not be a hobbit, but when I step out the door I may not know where the road will lead to. This spring I shall be going on my grandest adventure yet! Ever since I was a little girl I've been hearing about my mom's many adventures to Europe and my dad's mission to Wales. My dad is also a history buff so I came to learn a lot about English and European history. I have now become a History/English/Victorian nut who dreams about coming in contact with the source of her nerdiness. That's when my friend Ashley told me about how she could make one of my longest dreams come true. And I'm going to be the absolute poorest I've ever been in my life.
Drum roll please................
This year I will be going out of the country for the very first time to visit Scotland, England, France, and Spain!! You have no idea how I about flipped out of my chair when I found out I could go with my friend's school on their Continuing Education trip for Interior Design!!!! YEHAAAWWW!!! I'm going to be walking on air the whole time in England spouting Victorian ideals about the life of privileged society and the angst that grew in the working class as they fought for democracy. I'm going to go to Westminster Abbey and tell everyone about how Elizabeth I is buried there and then go to the Tower and tell people about Mary Queen of Scotts and how she lived there until she was beheaded. Henry VIII also beheaded his wife Anne Boleyn, mother of Queen Elizabeth I there. I could go on and on, but I won't.
Then in France I'm going to completely freak out at the Palace of Versailles and tell everyone how it used to be a hunting lodge until it was converted into a palace and how King Louis tried to move his family there from Paris which upset the Parisians and made them move back since revolutionary measures were going on and he was needed at the capital. While we're at the Louvre I'm just going to hope my love for drawing and dabbling in the arts won't be squashed as I view the art of the masters'.
In Spain my nerding out will be very limited. Most of what I know is about the Muslim influence that was there very early on from North Africans who basically had Spain as a colony until it was taken over again by the Spanish Catholics. So apparently there are still a lot of Muslims and Catholics in the country. After that mostly I just know about King Ferdinand and Isabella who funded the Italian Columbus to sail to the "Indies" which turned out to be the Americas. So at least I know something.
So now I thanks to tax returns funding half my trip, I now just have to save a couple grand and launch myself off to meet the Britons!!!!!

Your going to have to come with me and spout historical awesomeness when I go to Europe someday!
ReplyDelete