





(My name in hieroglyphs... this thing is freaking awesome!!! An Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphic keyboard!!)
Have I told you before that I'm a history nerd? When my family was planning our vacation to California, my mom stumbled across an exhibit in the California Science Center featuring Cleopatra and sponsored by the National Geographic. I basically started to drool and decided if I had to sell my little brother to the black market to see this, it was going to happen. When I was in Jr. High I wanted to be an Egyptologist and had a lot of books about Ancient Egypt and dad fully supported me in this and said that when I went to Egypt on an excavation I had to take him with me. I guess it figures where I got my interest in history.
It was a bummer that because of scheduling and Becki's complete lack of interest in "dead people" I wasn't able to go see their 6-story imax video so I'll have to hope they put it on dvd at some point. Still, the opportunity of seeing real Ancient Egyptian artifacts linked to Cleopatra was not going to be something I could live to regret missing. I wised that dad was able to come on our trip but since he had work conflicts I decided to take pictures of everything to show him later and tell him all about it.
Needless to say, I was practically hyperventilating when I entered the exhibit which was closely followed by tears of joy and amazement. I'm not kidding. I almost cried twice I was so overwhelmed. Now you may not understand how cool it is to find artifacts about Cleopatra, but the Romans weren't too happy with her when she died and tried to wipe out any recollection of her. Plus her palace and bay are now under water or under modern cities, thus making it difficult to excavate. AND we still have never found her body. I think I would have fainted if they had her mummy there. Alas, no mummies. Just my mummy who went with me. :)












I Natalie Love You
Comments
Post a Comment