So I've been going to college now for 5 years trying to decide what I'd want to do with my life and what I should major in. After 3 years I finally picked a major out of something I liked and figured, "What the heck. A degree will make me look good at least, right?" So being a History major everyone assumes I should be a teacher.... I admit I'd probably be good at it but it just doesn't appeal to me. It sounds like just homework for me and a lot of babysitting...unless I taught college, but I'm already way behind if I wanted a teaching degree. So on Tuesday this week I was walking through the Institute building heading up to go to my class and when I walked through the gym I saw a guy named David I knew from Istitute choir a few years ago (he has since gotten married and has a little girl, so don't get any ideas! lol!) and we caught up for a second. He asked me what I was planning on doing with my degree, and of course he mentioned teaching. I must get a look on my face like I just ate a lemon because then he offered the idea of being a librarian. I shrugged it off, but kept it in the back of my mind.
To me, this never sounded like a career. I figured librarians just sat around checking books in and out and issued library cards. Now don't get me wrong, I love the library and I go there every week in summer break, but I just didn't see it as something you really got into by going to school... I dunno. I think my perception of the job was pretty limited because I came home and told my mom about his suggestion and that's when she told me being a librarian took a master's degree and that she had considered going into it when she worked for a law firm a while back. I remember this, and the company sent her to Portland to see their main library there so she could better assist the librarian in their local office at home. So she started talking to me about it, and suddenly being a librarian sounded like something more than shelving books and singing in the Music Man.
Now I've begun looking at all these college options that offer degrees in Library Science (all of which are out of state). I of course start looking at the top colleges like Rutgers in NJ and the University of North Carolina (#1 in the Nation for MLS degrees). And the best part is they want a bachelors in anything, so I could actually apply my history degree! It's amazing at how I'm getting excited and already planning everything out from where I should go, how I'll pay for it, and even more amazing for me, considering getting to know my professors so I can get a good letter of recommendation. So after aaaallll this time I've finally finally found a career path that interests me!! Watch out! The book lover has finally come to her senses!!! :)
Thats great!! Sounds like a good career.
ReplyDelete