Skip to main content

Enrico Robella 1934



As you know by my earlier posts it was my goal to buy a violin this summer and I barely made it! I never dreamed I would actually be able to obtain one, especailly not at such a great find as this violin by Enrico Robella made in 1934. The violin was a lucky find in some ads where a student down at BYU was selling it since they had purchased another. They let me take it home for a few days and once I played the violin and heard how utterly beatiful its sound was I knew I had to have it! It makes my student violin sound like it was made out of plywood! And I used to think it wasn't that bad... Anyway soon after I got it I wanted to learn all I could about the maker of my new violin. The previous owner did have it appraised and it's worth $3,000 and I was lucky enough to get it at a lower price along with an amazing case! "Enrico Robella" is actually a trade brand of Ernst Heinrich Roth. He is a German maker who copied his violins after the Cremonese models of the 1700's like the Stradivari after he traveled to Italy and studied them in the early 1900's. Mine says it was copied after a Strad on the label inside and that it was made in Milano. The made in Milano part puzzles me because he had a shop in Germany and the US around 1934... not anywhere near Milano Italy... regardless I love my instrument all the same.

The top is made of fine-grained Italian spruce and the back is a solid piece of highly flamed maple.

Me playing the violin

The front of the violin


The back is made of maple. It's a highly admired quality if the back is made of one piece rather than two.

Best Friends. ;)

Comments

  1. There's our musician! You don't look happy or anything! This looks like it has gone a few miles, and that makes the violin an experienced entity! Take her to new heights, kiddo! You can do it!

    PS... You will please invite us to your next concert so we can hear you play in an orchestra, yay? We'd love to be there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bibliophile - Book Lover - That's me!

I absolutely love to read. My whole family is a bunch of readers and every one of us has our own collection of books. (Mine covers my ledge stretching along my 9 foot wall... and I ran out of room for them.) When I was younger (maybe 10) I found out my Grandma Walker kept track of every book she read in a journal and wrote it down, so I began my own book journal. So since 1997-ish I've written down each book's title, author, summary, date finished, how much I like it, and number of pages. I like to keep track of how many pages I've read in a year and the most I've ever gotten was just over 11,000 pages. This year I'm up to about 7,000 which is normal for me at this point. Seeing how I'm obsessed with books I thought I'd mention some of my favorites and favorite authors if you're ever looking for something to read since I have a few people who ask me for reading suggestions as it is. My new found favorite author is Brandon Sanderson. If you haven't he...

Best View in Town

Hiking has really had its benefits this summer. I've really enjoyed taking along m y camera, as you can tell. Even if I just used my phone's camera. These pictures are from two separate hikes, Ensign Peak and Grandeur Peak. What's great about both of these hikes is that once you've climbed the top they offer an amazing view of the valley. Many people know about Ensign Peak, but what I love about Grandeur Peak is the absolute brilliance of the view. It's from a much higher vantage point and offers a broader view of the Salt Lake Valley. Pictures can't do it justice. I've hiked it before and stayed up there while it got dark and watched fireworks for the fourth of July and I've never seen anything so beautiful to compare to it. Ensign Peak had an amazing view the night we hiked it. It was growing dark as we sat at the top and the thunder clouds rolling in added a great element to the pictures we took and made the night seem darker than it normally would h...

Fall is in the Air

Our first year of adventures in the married life has been pretty great. COVID actually opened up a lot of travel opportunities we couldn't have afforded otherwise. After going to Disney World earlier in the year, I never imagined that I would also be able to visit Disneyland in the fall, let alone twice! Disneyland To start, Disneyland with my mom, Lizzie and my niece and nephew in September. This was their first time (technically my niece's second but she was an infant the first time.) And doing Disneyland with kids is just magical. Yes, they get tired and grumpy and have no patience when they're hungry but they also believe everything they see. That kind of magic is just great to witness. We walked into the park and Micky and Minnie were at the train station to greet everyone coming in. My nephew was just in awe as my niece was so excited to see Minnie and Mickey in real life. They also quickly figured out that after waiting in a line, a really cool ride was at the end of...