Skip to main content

Have you been burned by Starbursts? I have. Ouch.


I got burned by a Starburst this week. Not the star, the candy. Though the star would've been cool.

So because my Grandmother's funeral and viewing was over Mother's Day weekend, my mom did not feel like celebrating until the week after. I finally came up with a fabulous idea of what to get her too. (For the past four years I swear I've only given her movies for Christmas just because she's so hard to shop for.) So for Mother's Day my dad and I got together and bought her an awesome outdoor portable firepit. I liked it a lot, and it was definitely something my mom would enjoy. So we bought it and hot dog fixings and starbursts and marshmellows so that we could have an amazing dinner out by our new firepit, and let me tell you, it really was fabulous.

That is until I got burned by a Starburst and about lost my leg to gangrene. Okay, so I'm exaggerating. But my brother had never roasted one before and wasn't sure if it was done, so I told him to show it to me. He didn't realize it was pratically melted and dripping everywhere, so when he whipped it towards me a huge pink glob flew and hit my shin. It took a second to realize it was burning and when I quickly wiped it off it took skin with it. Gross.

I kept a cold compress on it all night to make it feel better. It certainly is pretty now. I have two lovely spots where my skin burned, one's larger and it's pink and whiteish yellow.

Thankfully the experience hasn't kept me away from Starbursts. Just my brother while he's roasting them. But who has ever heard of someone being burned by a Starburst? Honestly?

Comments

  1. Oh, I am sorry. That must of hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah... I must share with you an episode from my checkered youth! When I was in High School, we lived over near 48th South and 3rd West. One afternoon, a storage building over on 48th caught fire, and burned down. However, some of the guys in my class got over there and stole a whole bunch of Starburst candy, and came to school a few days later selling a package for a dime! Naturally it was the best deal at the time so we bought several packages. The kicker?

    The candy had been smoked through from the fire. Try eating a smoked Starburst! It was years before I touched one again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bibliophile - Book Lover - That's me!

I absolutely love to read. My whole family is a bunch of readers and every one of us has our own collection of books. (Mine covers my ledge stretching along my 9 foot wall... and I ran out of room for them.) When I was younger (maybe 10) I found out my Grandma Walker kept track of every book she read in a journal and wrote it down, so I began my own book journal. So since 1997-ish I've written down each book's title, author, summary, date finished, how much I like it, and number of pages. I like to keep track of how many pages I've read in a year and the most I've ever gotten was just over 11,000 pages. This year I'm up to about 7,000 which is normal for me at this point. Seeing how I'm obsessed with books I thought I'd mention some of my favorites and favorite authors if you're ever looking for something to read since I have a few people who ask me for reading suggestions as it is. My new found favorite author is Brandon Sanderson. If you haven't he...

Best View in Town

Hiking has really had its benefits this summer. I've really enjoyed taking along m y camera, as you can tell. Even if I just used my phone's camera. These pictures are from two separate hikes, Ensign Peak and Grandeur Peak. What's great about both of these hikes is that once you've climbed the top they offer an amazing view of the valley. Many people know about Ensign Peak, but what I love about Grandeur Peak is the absolute brilliance of the view. It's from a much higher vantage point and offers a broader view of the Salt Lake Valley. Pictures can't do it justice. I've hiked it before and stayed up there while it got dark and watched fireworks for the fourth of July and I've never seen anything so beautiful to compare to it. Ensign Peak had an amazing view the night we hiked it. It was growing dark as we sat at the top and the thunder clouds rolling in added a great element to the pictures we took and made the night seem darker than it normally would h...

Fall is in the Air

Our first year of adventures in the married life has been pretty great. COVID actually opened up a lot of travel opportunities we couldn't have afforded otherwise. After going to Disney World earlier in the year, I never imagined that I would also be able to visit Disneyland in the fall, let alone twice! Disneyland To start, Disneyland with my mom, Lizzie and my niece and nephew in September. This was their first time (technically my niece's second but she was an infant the first time.) And doing Disneyland with kids is just magical. Yes, they get tired and grumpy and have no patience when they're hungry but they also believe everything they see. That kind of magic is just great to witness. We walked into the park and Micky and Minnie were at the train station to greet everyone coming in. My nephew was just in awe as my niece was so excited to see Minnie and Mickey in real life. They also quickly figured out that after waiting in a line, a really cool ride was at the end of...