Skip to main content

Giving Thanks

Thanksgiving

Nathan and I spent Thanksgiving Day at his mom's house to have dinner with his mom, grandma (let out especially from her living center for the day), and his brother Landon. I had a panic attack in my sleep the night before so I nearly took a nap on their couch after dinner. I'm not sure what triggered the panic attach, but I made a pie to take over and I think I was overly concerned that they would like that and the spinach artichoke chip dip I made. Turns out there was sooooo much food his mom prepared we didn't need the dip, but it was nice having a second pie handy that I could eat! His mom had made sure to pick up a pie that I could eat and had checked all the food boxes for allergen listings too. I am so honored by how careful she is not to poison me with eggs, even when I'm willing to forgo eating an item she'll try to get one that is safe for me. I love her. 

 It was nice seeing Nathan's grandma out and about since she's been stuck in the living center since COVID started and wasn't even allowed out for our wedding. She's so adorable but you can tell she is actually really happy at the living center. After spending the day out at each of her kid's houses she was very ready to go back to her room to nap on her own bed. 

 We also watched some TV and movies including the Croods since the 2nd movie had just come out in theater. We also helped his mom find a BBC show called Upstart Crow that is a hilarious comedy about William Shakespeare that she actually introduced to us when she found it on PBS. But PBS hadn't started her at the beginning so we showed her how to start it over on BritBox. All this time I was also struggling not to fall asleep. Which is what happens when you have a panic attack the night before. Landon couldn't stay long because he had to go into work in the afternoon, so Nathan and I and his mom were left with all the pies! There was way too much food for all of us. In fact, Kathy loaded us up with most of the left overs since she couldn't eat them all by herself. I did make a homemade mincemeat pie that I made especially for Kathy to try because she hadn't had any in years and was really excited to make one. So I got her 2 recipes and made one of them for her to try. Although I keep telling her I swear by the bottled stuff from Nonesuch. They're seriously the best and sooooo much easier.

Black Friday

On Black Friday Nathan and I spent the day doing some shopping. We had some things I needed to find for the kitchen so we spent most our time up by Sugarhouse going to Bed Bath and Beyond and a fun stop at FYE to buy some movies and music. To end the night we actually got to go see a movie! Going to the movie theaters feels rare these days - although that's almost normal for me because I rarely went until Nathan would ask to go see something. We watched Croods 2 and thought it was hilarious. 

Second Breakfast... (ahem. I mean Thanksgiving Dinner)

Our second Thanksgiving meal was at my mom's house on Saturday. I was assigned the yams, so I made those Rausch style (or really Walker style) and brought what was left of my spinach artichoke dip and a new bag of chips to dip. Mom also made her signature sweetheart turkey, mashed potatoes, a box of stuffing, and homemade gravy. We didn't go allll out with only five of us there, myself, Nathan, Christian, mom and dad, but we still had plenty of food. Dad made sure we had the good vegan egg-nog and we drank it from fancy glasses from Vienna.We only had few couple pies, my leftover mincemeat, a chocolate cream cheese pie that Christian made, and mom made a plum mincemeat, and a pumpkin pie. We still had plenty of food to have had 2 more people there. But that's how you do Thanksgiving dinners! 


Overall, we were nice and laid back and I got to bring my dog Freddie along to my parents house and my parent's dog Sparks was SO excited to see him! She didn't care that I had come, or Nathan, she was just happy to see her old friend. It was pretty adorable to watch. My dog likes being at my parent's house a lot more than he likes being at his new home with me and Nathan. So it's a good thing when I need the parent's to babysit him that he's extra happy to go there and see me leave. I think it's partly because Christian is good at spoiling him and giving snuggles. And he misses the house after living there for 6 years before I got married.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bibliophile - Book Lover - That's me!

I absolutely love to read. My whole family is a bunch of readers and every one of us has our own collection of books. (Mine covers my ledge stretching along my 9 foot wall... and I ran out of room for them.) When I was younger (maybe 10) I found out my Grandma Walker kept track of every book she read in a journal and wrote it down, so I began my own book journal. So since 1997-ish I've written down each book's title, author, summary, date finished, how much I like it, and number of pages. I like to keep track of how many pages I've read in a year and the most I've ever gotten was just over 11,000 pages. This year I'm up to about 7,000 which is normal for me at this point. Seeing how I'm obsessed with books I thought I'd mention some of my favorites and favorite authors if you're ever looking for something to read since I have a few people who ask me for reading suggestions as it is. My new found favorite author is Brandon Sanderson. If you haven't he...

Best View in Town

Hiking has really had its benefits this summer. I've really enjoyed taking along m y camera, as you can tell. Even if I just used my phone's camera. These pictures are from two separate hikes, Ensign Peak and Grandeur Peak. What's great about both of these hikes is that once you've climbed the top they offer an amazing view of the valley. Many people know about Ensign Peak, but what I love about Grandeur Peak is the absolute brilliance of the view. It's from a much higher vantage point and offers a broader view of the Salt Lake Valley. Pictures can't do it justice. I've hiked it before and stayed up there while it got dark and watched fireworks for the fourth of July and I've never seen anything so beautiful to compare to it. Ensign Peak had an amazing view the night we hiked it. It was growing dark as we sat at the top and the thunder clouds rolling in added a great element to the pictures we took and made the night seem darker than it normally would h...

Fall is in the Air

Our first year of adventures in the married life has been pretty great. COVID actually opened up a lot of travel opportunities we couldn't have afforded otherwise. After going to Disney World earlier in the year, I never imagined that I would also be able to visit Disneyland in the fall, let alone twice! Disneyland To start, Disneyland with my mom, Lizzie and my niece and nephew in September. This was their first time (technically my niece's second but she was an infant the first time.) And doing Disneyland with kids is just magical. Yes, they get tired and grumpy and have no patience when they're hungry but they also believe everything they see. That kind of magic is just great to witness. We walked into the park and Micky and Minnie were at the train station to greet everyone coming in. My nephew was just in awe as my niece was so excited to see Minnie and Mickey in real life. They also quickly figured out that after waiting in a line, a really cool ride was at the end of...