I have been so busy over the past year. Last year I finally got over my bout of depression that lasted around 5 months. After Matthew broke up with me I had to reconcile myself to a new future and in a way it was like breaking up again but with the expectation that I was going to be married. I gave in to the fear that I couldn't be happy single and I would never feel fulfilled without marriage and a family. At the same time I knew these were lies and had to convince myself to choose hope and faith and let my fears go to God. I seriously considered medication but decided that I hadn't really tried to help myself first. I got a book that really helped me. It pointed me to face my worst fear and accept the consequences and plan how I could live with them. After that, I forced myself to frequently read scriptures, quotes, and phrases that gave me comfort and courage. It helped that I felt the prompting of the Spirit telling me that I was on God's path and that everything would be okay. And it was! By my birthday I was on the mend and sometime after that realized that I was feeling more and more normal until I realized my fears no longer held sway in my thoughts and that I was content and happy again.
After getting over this with my 29th birthday I decided to stay single for a while. School was trying to kill me and I was afraid additional stress would trigger my depression again. Besides, I only had a few months to go until school was all over. I took my favorite class ever in the summer trying to be more fun. The class was on Genealogy both in how to do it as a professional and how to manage genealogical records. I seriously started considering becoming a genealogist with this class.
The fall semester was my last one and it went as well as could be expected. I pretty much lived off cold cereal, barely saw anyone, had no life, and frequently had to take time off work to finish my portfolio. I barely got it turned in 6 hours before it was due! It was such a relief to finish. I have no idea how people manage to finish early. The greatest blessing was the fact my other class I took at the same time was super duper easy but pretty fun. It taught about subject headings for books. But at the end of the semester I was glad to be done with school for good! The craziest part was the fact that I started looking at other matter degree programs as a second degree in case I want to do more. Haha. I'm pretty sure I should get more experience first.
I graduated with my Master's degree in December and got my diploma in January. I bought a fancy frame and a school t-shirt to celebrate. I decided to throw myself a joint party for my graduation and my thirtieth birthday!! Mom said it was sad I threw my own parties but if I didn't, no one else would and I want a party! I planned a Hobbit themed party which gave me particular joy since I have "Hobbit" gifts every year for my birthday. I made banners, got balloons, ordered lots of pizza, and decorated a table with a Rice Krispy cake (with peanut butter frosting), a map of Middle Earth, and battery tea-light candles in glass leaf holders. Then I invited my friends and family and had a pretty good turn out! I saw friends I hadn't seen in a while and got to be really social got the first time in ages. Turning 29 was hard but so far 30 had been great.
The next phase was preparing for my three weeks in Europe as my birthday and graduation present for myself!
Comments
Post a Comment