Skip to main content

Impromptu Maid of Honor




Bridget at the Capital, as taken on my phone

My cousin Bridget is the only cousin I have that is the same age as me. When we were little we were always really close even when she lived half a state away. We were both excited when her family moved close by instead of being 3 hours away. We were just hitting our teen years and we spent a lot of nights having sleep overs eating "dorichos" (Doritos nachos, which I only have with her), watching movies, playing the guitar and drums in their basement, and listening to NSYNC or Backstreet Boys. As we've gotten older we have taken different paths and interests, but we're still close. When she got engaged and asked me to do her hair and make-up for her bridals and reception, I was totally honored! She has always been more of a tom-boy and I was the one more interested in hair and make-up, but I've never had someone ask me to help with their wedding before!


I had so much fun spending time with her for her bridals and reception. Our schedules make it so that we can't hang out too much, so I was really excited for this. She looked so beautiful! My old phone just could not do her pictures justice. Each time I did her hair I just couldn't help but admire how good it turned out! You could tell that she felt beautiful.


For her reception she was so nervous! I did my best to keep her calm by talking about our teenage memories or whatever would keep her from worrying about going in front of a bunch of people. (Like the time I dolled her up and she dressed me like a tomboy wearing a Blink-182 shirt when we went to the store. The check-out guy saw my shirt and asked me which album was my favorite... He's lucky I knew they were a band!) Her sister-in-law Natalie also chatted with us and we both made sure she ate. I also helped her with her veil when it was falling off when she was dancing, grabbed the garter and helped get it on before the tossing began, and helped her get in and out of the dress.


After it was over and the dress was back in the garment bag, Bridget thanked me for being so helpful for her. She started to cry as she told me how much it meant to her that I stepped in essentially as a Maid of Honor and made sure everything was taken care of and for helping her to feel pretty. I had done so well at not crying until that point. She's now promised we're going to have to have a cheesy movie night with dorichos to pay me back for all I did. I didn't feel like I did that much, I just stepped in where I saw some help was needed. After all, for a long time we were practically sisters, not just cousins and I was more than glad to be helpful on her big day.



Comments

  1. Hey Lady! I just now saw this! And it made me cry! :D

    First of all i want to say how much i LOVE you! And thank you SO much for stepping in to help and for being my Maid of Honor! In what i've seen and experienced in weddings the Maid of Honor roll kind of just becomes like a status symbol and the title gets to the girls heads, but you embodied what it is to be a Maid of Honor without even getting the bragging rights to show for it LOL. You worked your magic on me and made me feel like a princess, you fetched things for me and you even got right up under my dress when my garter belt kept sliding off my leg! and you did it because of love and friendship, not because i asked you to be a Maid of Honor and so you "had to". So truly, Thank you!! You always were more than just a cousin to me... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, Bridget. You're going to make me cry again!! Love you too!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bibliophile - Book Lover - That's me!

I absolutely love to read. My whole family is a bunch of readers and every one of us has our own collection of books. (Mine covers my ledge stretching along my 9 foot wall... and I ran out of room for them.) When I was younger (maybe 10) I found out my Grandma Walker kept track of every book she read in a journal and wrote it down, so I began my own book journal. So since 1997-ish I've written down each book's title, author, summary, date finished, how much I like it, and number of pages. I like to keep track of how many pages I've read in a year and the most I've ever gotten was just over 11,000 pages. This year I'm up to about 7,000 which is normal for me at this point. Seeing how I'm obsessed with books I thought I'd mention some of my favorites and favorite authors if you're ever looking for something to read since I have a few people who ask me for reading suggestions as it is. My new found favorite author is Brandon Sanderson. If you haven't he...

Best View in Town

Hiking has really had its benefits this summer. I've really enjoyed taking along m y camera, as you can tell. Even if I just used my phone's camera. These pictures are from two separate hikes, Ensign Peak and Grandeur Peak. What's great about both of these hikes is that once you've climbed the top they offer an amazing view of the valley. Many people know about Ensign Peak, but what I love about Grandeur Peak is the absolute brilliance of the view. It's from a much higher vantage point and offers a broader view of the Salt Lake Valley. Pictures can't do it justice. I've hiked it before and stayed up there while it got dark and watched fireworks for the fourth of July and I've never seen anything so beautiful to compare to it. Ensign Peak had an amazing view the night we hiked it. It was growing dark as we sat at the top and the thunder clouds rolling in added a great element to the pictures we took and made the night seem darker than it normally would h...

Fall is in the Air

Our first year of adventures in the married life has been pretty great. COVID actually opened up a lot of travel opportunities we couldn't have afforded otherwise. After going to Disney World earlier in the year, I never imagined that I would also be able to visit Disneyland in the fall, let alone twice! Disneyland To start, Disneyland with my mom, Lizzie and my niece and nephew in September. This was their first time (technically my niece's second but she was an infant the first time.) And doing Disneyland with kids is just magical. Yes, they get tired and grumpy and have no patience when they're hungry but they also believe everything they see. That kind of magic is just great to witness. We walked into the park and Micky and Minnie were at the train station to greet everyone coming in. My nephew was just in awe as my niece was so excited to see Minnie and Mickey in real life. They also quickly figured out that after waiting in a line, a really cool ride was at the end of...