I read the book Matched and I liked its tie in with poetry. It makes me wish I were better at writing I'd write a poem myself. I tried, and it didn't come out so well so I deleted it. Instead I'll share a bit of a poem in another book I'm reading that I enjoyed.
Learn to win a lady's faith
Nobly, as the thing is high;
Bravely, as for life and death --
With a loyal gravity.
Lead her from the festive boards,
Point her to the starry skies,
Guard her, by your truthful words,
Pure from courtship's flatteries.
This is only a section, but the purpose of the poem is to contrast a lightly won "yes" from a lover who has to work to win his lady's consent.
My dad likes poetry and I recently gave him a collection of poems by Robert Frost. I can now say I've actually read The Roat Not Taken and Fire and Ice. When I was younger I remember he showed me a poem called Trees by Joyce Kilmer and I remember taking a field trip in grade school when my mom came with us and she and I sat on the bus and memorized the poem on the way home. Later on I learned he was a young American soldier who died in the First World War.
When the book Matched talked about how society picked the best 100 poems and best 100 books and burned the rest I have to admit I was taken back by the thought. How could I ever limit myself to such a small number of literary jewels? How could you pick one over another? I have a hard time just picking a favorite book! It made me appreciate creativity and the fact I can choose what I want to read or try to write a really bad poem if I want to.
Learn to win a lady's faith
Nobly, as the thing is high;
Bravely, as for life and death --
With a loyal gravity.
Lead her from the festive boards,
Point her to the starry skies,
Guard her, by your truthful words,
Pure from courtship's flatteries.
Mrs. Browning. (The Lady's Yes)
This is only a section, but the purpose of the poem is to contrast a lightly won "yes" from a lover who has to work to win his lady's consent.
My dad likes poetry and I recently gave him a collection of poems by Robert Frost. I can now say I've actually read The Roat Not Taken and Fire and Ice. When I was younger I remember he showed me a poem called Trees by Joyce Kilmer and I remember taking a field trip in grade school when my mom came with us and she and I sat on the bus and memorized the poem on the way home. Later on I learned he was a young American soldier who died in the First World War.
When the book Matched talked about how society picked the best 100 poems and best 100 books and burned the rest I have to admit I was taken back by the thought. How could I ever limit myself to such a small number of literary jewels? How could you pick one over another? I have a hard time just picking a favorite book! It made me appreciate creativity and the fact I can choose what I want to read or try to write a really bad poem if I want to.
Comments
Post a Comment