Skip to main content

3 Months

Right now I'm feeling pretty neglectful of my blog. A lot has happened and I won't remember it all to put in here. Maybe I'll list some things as a general update, and go more into depth on others. Good plan. Here we go from January!

I found out right before the semester started that I probably have carpal tunnel problems. Oh joy. The doctor gave me a prescription for ginormous ibprofen and two splints for my arms at night. Then if the problems I've had don't improve I'm supposed to see physical therapists to strengthen my wrist... I also requested a new keyboard at work and my ergonomic keyboard and so far that has worked miracles. I also had to drop my new violin lessons!! I can't tell you how much I miss it. And I had to stop playing in my orchestra. Now that I'm feeling a bit better I'm going to work myself up to the point where I can take lessons again first (they're shorter) and then the whole session for orchestra rehearsal. The ultimate goal is then to join the university/community orchestra at the U this fall. :)

Secondly Valentines came and produced a ring on my sister Lizzie's finger! Of all my sisters, we didn't guess the youngest would be married first. But she's marrying a very nice guy named Jimmy who makes playing the Game of Things interesting at my house! (Yes, we're still addicted!) So I'm excited for her and I'm really excited that I found me a bridesmaid dress at the first store I went to!! I couldn't see a thing online and thought I'd end up sewing one. Now I'm just going to take in the top since I happen to be two very different sizes at once. Fun stuff. So minimal sewing is good with how busy I am.

Next up we have my best friends Alisa and Cameron who had their baby boy on February 16th! They named him Ephraim Kimball and he is just so stinkin' cute! I wish I had a good picture to display, but I don't. I wish I weren't in school so that I had time to go over every day to see them and hold him... but maybe this summer I can! AND I threw a totally awesome baby shower for her after he was born just last Saturday. Thus my Sherlock Holmes themed party. Talk about original, huh? I don't always like baby showers so I thought I'd be really creative for this one. I painted this huge cardboard box to look like Sherlock and Watson without heads holding a paper for a missing baby. Then I made a bunch of black paper mustaches (which made the cutest bouquet in a mason jar!) and borrowed two fedoras from my siblings. Then I hired my sister Becki to take pictures of us wearing the hats and mustaches posing as Watson and Holmes. Talk about fun! Some of them seemed embarrased, but overall I think they liked it. Especially playing with the mustaches! They were so awesome and pretty easy to make! Then I had a list of riddles for everyone to solve like this one:

A man is returning from Switzerland by train. If he had been in a non-smoking car he would have died.

Any guesses? They really make you get creative to figure them out. I'd only heard of one or two of them before I collected all 18 riddles I had. Here's your answer:  The man used to be blind -- he's returning from an eye operation which restored his sight. He spent all his money on the operation, so when the train (which had no internal lighting) goes through a tunnel, he thinks he's gone blind again and decides to kill himself. But before he could do it, he saw the light of the cigarettes people were smoking and realized he could still see.

Last of all, for the baby shower we had a tea party complete with an antique tea pot and cups and saucers. On a tax-return splurge I went to some antique stores with my mother and while we were at City Creek Antiques I found me the coolest pewter pot and some adorable pink rose china from England from the 1920's. So I spent a little over a hundred bucks for the lot and even my friends agreed they could see me using these for other tea parties... and it's so true. It totally reminded me of my Grandma Walker who had similar doll tea parties. We even have some of her cups, her kitchen table, and table cloths so it was very reminiscent to her parties!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bibliophile - Book Lover - That's me!

I absolutely love to read. My whole family is a bunch of readers and every one of us has our own collection of books. (Mine covers my ledge stretching along my 9 foot wall... and I ran out of room for them.) When I was younger (maybe 10) I found out my Grandma Walker kept track of every book she read in a journal and wrote it down, so I began my own book journal. So since 1997-ish I've written down each book's title, author, summary, date finished, how much I like it, and number of pages. I like to keep track of how many pages I've read in a year and the most I've ever gotten was just over 11,000 pages. This year I'm up to about 7,000 which is normal for me at this point. Seeing how I'm obsessed with books I thought I'd mention some of my favorites and favorite authors if you're ever looking for something to read since I have a few people who ask me for reading suggestions as it is. My new found favorite author is Brandon Sanderson. If you haven't he...

Best View in Town

Hiking has really had its benefits this summer. I've really enjoyed taking along m y camera, as you can tell. Even if I just used my phone's camera. These pictures are from two separate hikes, Ensign Peak and Grandeur Peak. What's great about both of these hikes is that once you've climbed the top they offer an amazing view of the valley. Many people know about Ensign Peak, but what I love about Grandeur Peak is the absolute brilliance of the view. It's from a much higher vantage point and offers a broader view of the Salt Lake Valley. Pictures can't do it justice. I've hiked it before and stayed up there while it got dark and watched fireworks for the fourth of July and I've never seen anything so beautiful to compare to it. Ensign Peak had an amazing view the night we hiked it. It was growing dark as we sat at the top and the thunder clouds rolling in added a great element to the pictures we took and made the night seem darker than it normally would h...

Fall is in the Air

Our first year of adventures in the married life has been pretty great. COVID actually opened up a lot of travel opportunities we couldn't have afforded otherwise. After going to Disney World earlier in the year, I never imagined that I would also be able to visit Disneyland in the fall, let alone twice! Disneyland To start, Disneyland with my mom, Lizzie and my niece and nephew in September. This was their first time (technically my niece's second but she was an infant the first time.) And doing Disneyland with kids is just magical. Yes, they get tired and grumpy and have no patience when they're hungry but they also believe everything they see. That kind of magic is just great to witness. We walked into the park and Micky and Minnie were at the train station to greet everyone coming in. My nephew was just in awe as my niece was so excited to see Minnie and Mickey in real life. They also quickly figured out that after waiting in a line, a really cool ride was at the end of...