Skip to main content

Summer Begins

I think instead of New Year's resolutions, what I really do is  Summer Resolutions. That's when I try to fit in all the cool, fun, and self-fulling activities that I wish I had time to do during the school year. I already sat down on my bed a couple weeks ago and scribbled out a list of all the novels I want to read this summer. They range from Lord of the Rings, to Anne of Green Gables, to Crime and Punishment. It's quite the list. If I had it in front of me I'd tell you all of them, instead here is what I can remember off-hand.

The Hobbit
Lord of the Rings
Nicholas Nickleby (Dickens)
Sense and Sensibility
Jane Eyre
Wives and Daughters (Gaskell)
The Taming of the Shrew
The Importance of Being Earnest
Little Women
The Picture of Dorian Grey
The Hunger Games (1-3)
Heat Wave
Naked Heat
Crime and Punishment
Anne of Green Gables (whole series)
Moby Dick

You may have noticed, but most of those are quite heavy reading. But many of these books I've been meaning to read for a while now. My fingers have been itching so bad to pick up a book these last few weeks of school! For the past two weeks there's hardly anything I've wanted to do more than settle down with a good romance instead of the history of Islam. I've enjoyed this semester at school, but I've got Summer Fever!!
About three days after I made the list of books (which keeps growing!) I couldn't sleep until I wrote down all the things I want to accomplish over the summer. I know that if I write it down and actually look at the list I'll be more likely to work on my goals rather than forget and remember them after summer is over. So at one in the morning I sat cross-legged on my bed with my dog asleep in my lap and wrote my goals on the back of my book list. Here is what I can remember of it.

Go hiking
Go bike riding
Clean the bathroom
Paint and fix my bedroom door
Walk the dogs
Get dad to start going on walks with the dogs
Plant a garden
Practice speaking/reading Russian
Read the Book of Mormon in Russian
Practice my violin
Get violin lessons for the summer
Get a gym membership
Go swimming
Finish my charcoal drawing
Learn to watercolor
Learn to paint with oils/acrylics
Find Graduate schools to apply to
Train my dog to come when I call

It's a pretty good list if I say so myself. I've found the inherent problem with most of my summers is when it gets hot I get lazy, really lazy. Then all I do is drink my cold diet sodas and watch TV downstairs in my room where it's cooler. I don't want to do that this year, once in a while maybe, but I'm not going to make it a habit. Hopefully at the end of the summer I can report on how good I do. :) As a random side note the TV watching I have done lately has been super cool! I love public programming. I've learned about Martin Luther King Jr., The Freedom Riders, bees disappearing, the history of telescopes, and I've been inspired to learn how to sing opera. I don't think I could actually sing opera... but it'd be awesome!

Other than my goals, my life has been going pretty good. I realized that if I take 3 classes for the next 3 semesters I should be able to graduate with my BA! I also finished all my finals for this semester and while they could have been better, I felt like I did pretty good. So I'm satisfied with that. (I only have one more paper to finish until I reach complete freedom!! (Yeah, I know I'm procrastinating by blogging instead!))

I made a goal to  be healthier at the beginning of the year and so far it is working out well since my dad started a biggest loser contest at his work. Dad traded in his potato chips (his biggest weakness) and trips to Burger King for apples and veggie trays. I don't think I've ever seen so much produce in our fridge before! And the most amazing part is how FAST we go through it! We're eating a veggie tray a day, so mom cuts up our own veggies and fruits for it. And dad's shrinking before our eyes. It's weird to hear him say things like "How many calories does that have?" or "How many points was dinner?" Regardless, we're all excited he's finally deciding to be healthy. But now if I could just start exercising more regularly then I'll really be on track! Sadly, with school ending I won't be walking up and downhill at campus for awhile. That was some serious exercise when I had my 15-20 lbs. backpack to carry around! So here's to the coming summer which I can fully enjoy starting TOMORROW!!! YEE-HAW!!

I wish I could have a garden look this cool!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bibliophile - Book Lover - That's me!

I absolutely love to read. My whole family is a bunch of readers and every one of us has our own collection of books. (Mine covers my ledge stretching along my 9 foot wall... and I ran out of room for them.) When I was younger (maybe 10) I found out my Grandma Walker kept track of every book she read in a journal and wrote it down, so I began my own book journal. So since 1997-ish I've written down each book's title, author, summary, date finished, how much I like it, and number of pages. I like to keep track of how many pages I've read in a year and the most I've ever gotten was just over 11,000 pages. This year I'm up to about 7,000 which is normal for me at this point. Seeing how I'm obsessed with books I thought I'd mention some of my favorites and favorite authors if you're ever looking for something to read since I have a few people who ask me for reading suggestions as it is. My new found favorite author is Brandon Sanderson. If you haven't he...

Best View in Town

Hiking has really had its benefits this summer. I've really enjoyed taking along m y camera, as you can tell. Even if I just used my phone's camera. These pictures are from two separate hikes, Ensign Peak and Grandeur Peak. What's great about both of these hikes is that once you've climbed the top they offer an amazing view of the valley. Many people know about Ensign Peak, but what I love about Grandeur Peak is the absolute brilliance of the view. It's from a much higher vantage point and offers a broader view of the Salt Lake Valley. Pictures can't do it justice. I've hiked it before and stayed up there while it got dark and watched fireworks for the fourth of July and I've never seen anything so beautiful to compare to it. Ensign Peak had an amazing view the night we hiked it. It was growing dark as we sat at the top and the thunder clouds rolling in added a great element to the pictures we took and made the night seem darker than it normally would h...

Fall is in the Air

Our first year of adventures in the married life has been pretty great. COVID actually opened up a lot of travel opportunities we couldn't have afforded otherwise. After going to Disney World earlier in the year, I never imagined that I would also be able to visit Disneyland in the fall, let alone twice! Disneyland To start, Disneyland with my mom, Lizzie and my niece and nephew in September. This was their first time (technically my niece's second but she was an infant the first time.) And doing Disneyland with kids is just magical. Yes, they get tired and grumpy and have no patience when they're hungry but they also believe everything they see. That kind of magic is just great to witness. We walked into the park and Micky and Minnie were at the train station to greet everyone coming in. My nephew was just in awe as my niece was so excited to see Minnie and Mickey in real life. They also quickly figured out that after waiting in a line, a really cool ride was at the end of...