![]() |
| Smaug the Dragon, Brothers Hildebrandt 1977 |
I remember when I was a little older than that my dad read The Hobbit to us as mom drove the Land Cruiser. Whenever we piled in to go somewhere he'd pull out his copy from the glovebox and pick up where we left off. I was the only one who really liked this. My sisters thought it was absolutely boring and resented the fact I kept yelling at them to be quiet every minute. I still remember being fascinated with Smaug the dragon. I was so fascinated that even though I couldn't quite handle the books my Grandma gave me an old calendar when I was about 12. The 1977 Lord of the Rings calendar illustrated by the Brothers Hildebrandt! (Like me, my Grandma held onto things for a long time.) Many of these images have stuck with me when I've read the books. After all, if you just look at the picture of Smaug up at the top, you can't get much cooler than that! Another reason I love these pictures from the calendar is because you can totally see their influence in the design for the movies!
One of the most immediate effects from reading Lord of the Rings is my language. One time I had been reading the Fellowship all afternoon and when I finally decided to emerge and join the world upstairs I plopped myself on the couch and said to my mother across the room, "I have been reading for many a long hour." I think my face went into a look of complete shock and followed that statement with, "Did I really just say that?!" Of course, even though my mom made fun of me she does it too every time she reads Jane Austen. I find it a hazard whenever I read old literature. Sadly I've only read the series once though. I get stuck every time in Two Towers when I come to the accursed marshes. I swear that part never ends!
And finally, the real reason for my post is the brilliant idea that I had starting two years ago to celebrate my birthday in a different manner than usual. I decided while standing by myself in the middle of Barnes and Noble that I was going to have a Hobbit Birthday!! Many of you may not know how hobbits celebrate their birthdays in the Shire, but I remember the first time I read the Fellowship how I was struck with the genius of giving away presents on your birthday. As Bilbo explains, "Not very expensive ones, as a rule, and not so lavishly as on this occasion; but it was not a bad system. Actually in Hobbiton and Bywater every day in the year was somebody's birthday, so that every hobbit in those parts had a fair chance of at least one present at least once a week. But they never got tired of them." (Tolkien) So I merrily browsed through the store until I found the perfect book for each of my family members. My birthday came around shortly thereafter and after my family gave me my birthday presents (yes, I was selfish enough to not change that part of my birthday!) I told them to stay right there as I grabbed more gifts. That sure confused them. But you should have seen their surprise when I ran down to my room and came up with a grocery bag filled with wrapped presents for them! I was practically giddy!
![]() |
| Gandalf Visits; Brothers Hildebrandt 1977 |
P.S. I'm also super excited they're finally filming the Hobbit this February!!



Comments
Post a Comment