Skip to main content

Are Ye a Sea Dog?

I bet ye all forgot about Talk Like a Gentleman o' fortune Day.

Lizze got herself thrown into th' stocks
It twere highly satisfactory sailin' ter Portland t' stay wi' me cousins and visit th' brethren this year. When we set into port me mates Alisa, Lili, and Lizzie and meself were all so fatigued it were makin' us mightily merry wi' Cap'n Aaron and Hykel. An' nothin on this side o' Tortuga coulda made Lizzie more happy than eatin them enchiladas, 'cept o' course movie quotin' which we did plenty of!

It be th' next mornin' when we saillied over t' th' festival through th' pourin' rain. We even stopped t' get us these queer objects to try an' keep ourselves dry. I believe me cousins called 'em umbrellys. Fun little trinkets they were, we jabbed an' twirled 'em around a bit fer good measure and while they're not efficient fer fightin' they be mighty handy for keepin' yer head dry. O' course I found me hat did just about as well. I used me umbrelly half as much as the others who be only wearing a scarf about the'r skull. I also felt right smart as paint I did in me new blue coat fit fer a captain with brass buckles and me new boots wi' three buckles a piece, by t'under!
Th' Brits send an envoy
Th' pirates get ready ter attack
We sees most o' th' shops there and we watched a man named Charley Brown (aye, that be his Christian name!) juggel cigar boxes, flaming rods, an' many other entertaining things. Me favorite was when he balanced a three an' a half foot broad sword on his chin an' managed ter lay down and get himself up again. We also went an' grabbed some grub since I were fairly starved an' that's when we found Aaron an' Hykel after we lost 'em when we wandered ahead ter th' festival. Once we found 'em Cap'n Aaron an' meself put down a little competition between ourselves an' sailed over t' th' barrel racing. I sadly lost th' challenge, but Lizzie took it upon herself ter hold up arr family name an' raced Aaron like a she-devil! The lass was plum stirred by Davy Jones himself an' beat poor Cap'n Aaron. Mighty proud I was at tha'.

Hykel an' Aaron watchin' th' festival from their umbrellys
Just upwind o' the barrels the bucanners mannin' the games were puttin' on a wee bit of a show. They be carryin' letters o' marque an' put on fights ter please th' sea dogs itchin' ter cheer on a fight. The rogues be mighty good at puttin' on a spectacle an' used cutlasses, whips, and daggers. What's more, all them scallywags be named Jack which makes fer easy cheering. One privateer asked a favor o' me an' Lizzie tha' if he won his next fight tha' we would take a picture wi' him. It be pretty clear that it were arranged fer him ter win th' fight, but we agreed none thee less fer he were mighty smart lookin' he be. Th' duel were still great fun t' watch, but no one got run through sadly. They both lived ter tell th' tale. I got his portrait he posed w' us up below. Th' night be finished off wi' a cannon fight where th' sea dogs scared th' Brits away. Th' weather made fer a shorter show than ususal, but we be still entertained an th' cannon they blasted still shook us t' our bones! When we made it back ter port th' rain came down in hard torrents an' we be right glad we were t' have pizza delivered as we dried off our boots an' coats.
Jack vs. Jack
Lizzie an' meself posin' wi' Cap'n Jack
Pirate talk over, sorry guys. So on Sunday we slept in and after we woke up we decided to go to the Portland Zoo. Can I just say that this zoo was a hundred times better than the one we have here?! We started out going through the North American animals where we saw black bears, an eagle, and a cougar. I even took a picture of the cougar for all my BYU fans (see below). The Pacific Shores animals were my favorite with the penguins, seals, polar bears, tigers, lepards, and polar bears (oh, my!). The penguins were super cute since we got there at feeding time and one of them was begging for food from the zoo worker, so the worker picked it up and had it wave hi to us. :) Then came the African Safari where we saw rhinos, hippos, rain forest animals, crocs, zebras, lions, cheetas, and more. We even saw the ibis! It's a bird that was central to Egyptian mythology since it was portrayed as one of their gods. I had to take a picture being the history nerd I am. (Only I can find history things to make me excited at the zoo!) The Asian elephants were cute too. We got to see their trunks in action as it was currently feeding time for the elephants! (Name this movie quote: He's got the elephant! He's go the elephant!)

If you can't tell by the long list, we'd been walking for quite some time now and we took a break before we went on to the monkeys. We even saw ocelots which Lizzie tried to pronounce funny like Ahk-a-lot. It's too bad we didn't pay the extra money to see the dinosaur exhibit, but the ones outside it were cool so we got a picture. :) And the coolest part about the zoo when you're walking around is how lush and green everything is since it's literally part of Washington Park. So compare it to putting our zoo in the middle of the forest where green is the supreme reigning color and all the animals are at an easy to see level.When we were done we went to the gift shop and since I hadn't purchased anything at the festival I still had spending money and I got Lizzie and me some cute stuffed animals, a clouded leopard and a giraffe. Yes, they were ridiculously overpriced, but when it helps to support the animals in an awesome zoo how can you feel guilty?
Alisa, Lili, Me, Lizzie, Dino


After feeling completely exhausted from walking the zoo for four hours our plan was to drive around Washington Park until Hykel and Aaron could meet up with us (they didn't go to the zoo, but they wished they had when they found out they still had the dinosaurs). This was much preferable to walking. The only problem was when we found signs for a rose garden and we had to park and get out to see it. Yay! More walking for our dead feet! :) The rose gardens were amazing though, even if many of them were beginning to die. I saw Julia Childs roses, Marilyn Monroe roses, Independence roses, purple hearts, Reba McEntire roses, and many more I didn't have names for. My favorite were the miniature roses, they were so intricate and lovely. I really wish I could go buy a rose bush of miniature roses. The different gardens they had set up were cool too. They have a testing area with many roses that aren't named yet, a Shakespearean Garden (please be sure to use your British accent when entering this section of the garden), the Royal Rosarian Garden, and the Queen's Walk that had plaques of the queens. Later I went to the park's website and found out they have over 10,000 roses planted there! I took so many pictures it was ridiculous.
 

Once we were home we spent our last night having fun playing Nertz with Hykel and Aaron. I swear Alisa won every time! It wasn't fair! We also watched Gold Rush with Charlie Chaplin after I mentioned how we used to have it and I hadn't seen it in years. That was just fun to see again. I like it when he uses potatoes on sticks as his feet for a dance number at the dinner table. :) The only other item of interest for the trip was on the drive home when a giant moth got stuck in my windshield wiper that I thought was a piece of paper.... yeah, I kinda freaked out after I tried tugging it out with my hand... Hahaha. Blonde moment for me!

Comments

  1. So now I've been to Oregon with you, and when my buddy up there saw your posts on FB, he got excited and said that he could have shown you around! He has some amazing photography on his site as well. Lots of flowers in his yard! Your photo's looked really cool, and I actually walked through a lot of them on your FB page! Glad you got out of this town and got to play elsewhere for a while!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bibliophile - Book Lover - That's me!

I absolutely love to read. My whole family is a bunch of readers and every one of us has our own collection of books. (Mine covers my ledge stretching along my 9 foot wall... and I ran out of room for them.) When I was younger (maybe 10) I found out my Grandma Walker kept track of every book she read in a journal and wrote it down, so I began my own book journal. So since 1997-ish I've written down each book's title, author, summary, date finished, how much I like it, and number of pages. I like to keep track of how many pages I've read in a year and the most I've ever gotten was just over 11,000 pages. This year I'm up to about 7,000 which is normal for me at this point. Seeing how I'm obsessed with books I thought I'd mention some of my favorites and favorite authors if you're ever looking for something to read since I have a few people who ask me for reading suggestions as it is. My new found favorite author is Brandon Sanderson. If you haven't he...

Best View in Town

Hiking has really had its benefits this summer. I've really enjoyed taking along m y camera, as you can tell. Even if I just used my phone's camera. These pictures are from two separate hikes, Ensign Peak and Grandeur Peak. What's great about both of these hikes is that once you've climbed the top they offer an amazing view of the valley. Many people know about Ensign Peak, but what I love about Grandeur Peak is the absolute brilliance of the view. It's from a much higher vantage point and offers a broader view of the Salt Lake Valley. Pictures can't do it justice. I've hiked it before and stayed up there while it got dark and watched fireworks for the fourth of July and I've never seen anything so beautiful to compare to it. Ensign Peak had an amazing view the night we hiked it. It was growing dark as we sat at the top and the thunder clouds rolling in added a great element to the pictures we took and made the night seem darker than it normally would h...

Fall is in the Air

Our first year of adventures in the married life has been pretty great. COVID actually opened up a lot of travel opportunities we couldn't have afforded otherwise. After going to Disney World earlier in the year, I never imagined that I would also be able to visit Disneyland in the fall, let alone twice! Disneyland To start, Disneyland with my mom, Lizzie and my niece and nephew in September. This was their first time (technically my niece's second but she was an infant the first time.) And doing Disneyland with kids is just magical. Yes, they get tired and grumpy and have no patience when they're hungry but they also believe everything they see. That kind of magic is just great to witness. We walked into the park and Micky and Minnie were at the train station to greet everyone coming in. My nephew was just in awe as my niece was so excited to see Minnie and Mickey in real life. They also quickly figured out that after waiting in a line, a really cool ride was at the end of...